Topic alles over de slag om berlijn.

De gevechten en operaties tijdens WOII
HMS Renown
Lid

Re: Fortificaties

Bericht door HMS Renown »

asjemenou schreef:Volgens mij haal jij het één en ander door elkaar HMS Renown. Wat jij schrijft klopt wel alleen heb jij het over Duitse fortificaties ten tijde van de slag om Berlijn. De 2 fortificaties welke in de door mij eerder geplaatste lijst worden vermeld zijn Sovjet fortificaties. De lijst vermeld alleen Sovjet (Poolse) verliezen gedurende de slag om Berlijn.
:bonk:

Ik wou enkel antwoorden op de vraag van iknowdintoo.
VGD
Lid

Re: Topic alles over de slag om berlijn.

Bericht door VGD »

Jurgen noemde een aantal van 1000 Franse SS'ers dit aantal klopt niet, het werkelijke aantal is 300 Franse SS'ers. Deze bewezen zich zelf met anti-tank gevechten. Met name SS pionieren van deze divisie.

Wat ook aardig is om te lezen zijn twee verslagen van twee Duitse King Tiger commandanten die in Berlijn rond reden om vuurkracht te leveren, maar dan als vliegende keeper. daaruit is ook de lezen dat er een burger op de king tiger mee reed en later weer er vandoor ging, het was niemand minder dan Martin Bormann die op de vlucht was

hier een verslag een van de twee

Bericht des SS-Unterscharführer Diers, Panzerkommandant der sSS-PzAbt 503

April 19, 1945: Retreat from Seelow, new positions taken up in/around Buckow (a town near Strausberg/Müncheburg). Damage to the tracks, repeated hits on and around the turret from a JS - 122. Were forced to take emergency actions, during this were able to knock out 13 tanks in 19 minutes.

April 20, 1945: Sent to the repair company in Hönow due to the track damage. Fire breaks out in the turret due to the quick welding and repair of the above mentioned damage. The Tetra-fire extinguishers, which were used to put out the fire, have damaged the sights and weapons.

April 21, 1945: The Russians have broken through our lines and we are forced to abandon our current position towards Berlin, by way of Marzahn (originally spelled as "Marzan", should be as written, "Marzahn"), Lichtenberg to Biesdorf, to the repair station of Krupp & Druckemöller.

April 22, 1945: Position in Biesdorf was abandoned in the early morning. We then travelled towards the Berlin suburb of Neukölln by way of Köpenick, Oberschöneweide/Spree. During this, we had to cross a bridge over the Teltow canal, where our gunner was able to knock out a JS - 122. This was probably the best shot I've ever seen, as he was only able to see a part of the left side of the enemy tank, this kill counted towards my 49th enemy tank killed. The crew radio is broken, we can only communicate with each other with a string. We then cover the tank ditch and defenses at Sonnenallee, which are facing the bridge. We recieve our last known meals from the Spieß, Oberscharführer Taube. We are then commanded to meet at the battalion command post (set up at the District court in Neukölln) , and are then given instructions for the defense of Bergstrasse, Richardstrasse and the Hertieplatz, we take up position across from the Post building. We recieve flyers that evening, all are from the OKW which report that "Bahnhof Köpenick" has been retaken.

April 25, 1945: The battle in Neukölln begins, the Russians attempt to attack by way of Bergstrasse and Berliner strasse. Another tank, which was dug in across from the Neukölln Post Office was shot to pieces. The commandant was wounded during the afternoon, and stayed where he fell, his eye was ripped out of the socket. He was eventually evacuated to a military hospital, but we are not sure where to find another Commander? We see a officer - also wounded -, wearing the uniform of a tanker, standing on the roadside, he then takes command of the tank. The tank then goes on the offensive towards the Berliner strasse where the Russians have been able to break through. The attack is made with troops from the "Charlemagne" division, who are attacking from the Hasenheide. We were then able to knock the Russians back and to stabilize the front to where it originally was, by which we were able to knock out many enemy tanks. After this, we were able to advance to Richardstrasse, where 3 enemy tanks -in Jahnstrasse- were knocked out, and after which we returned to Hertieplatz on the advice of the new Officer, who was a Berliner.

April 26, 1945: We recieve orders to change positions from Hertiehaus to Hermannplatz. We are, however, told to make our way to the Division command post -at Potsdamer Platz- due to the damage we recieved during the night. During this, we are subjected to an ambush by Katyusha rockets, the so called "Stalins Organ," by which our commander is wounded. He is then taken to the hospital at Anhalter Bahnhof and we travel on to the command post at Potsdamer Platz. We give our report to Kausch and Herzig. Dr. Cappell suggests that Oscha. Diers be returned to command the tank, he does, with the command to travel to the repair company, which is located in the Uhlandstrasse (Ku'damm). Everyone is happy that they are able to finally sleep. (in these past 2 entries (22 - 26. April), I am not sure if Diers actually was commanding the tank, or if he was riding along with it as the way it is written sounds as though he was originally the commander of the Tiger II B, but was then sent away, and then here on the 26th, returned to command the tank again)

April 27, 1945: We drive towards U-Bahn Station Mitte and secure Lindenstrasse and its corner to Kommandantenstrasse, which faces Belle-Alliance-Platz (Present day "Mehringplatz" at U-Hallesches Tor")

April 28, 1945: The Russians are using flamethrowers to dislodge the defenders of the Luisenstadtkirche, which is nonetheless successfully fought off.

April 29, 1945: Commanded towards Potsdamer Platz, in the direction of Saarlandstrasse and Anhalter Platz. Oscha. Karl Heinz Turk is positioned on the otherside of the street. "Ivan" takes the entire area of Potsdamer Platz under fire, they also attempt to swarm the positions around Anhalter Bahnhof with a tank attack, which is also successfully fought off. Whereby we are able to knock out another JS - 122 and several T-34s which are attacking from behind the Haus Vaterland, these knockouts enable us to block off the Saarlandstrasse from further enemy tank attacks.

April 30, 1945: The order is recieved to move towards the Reichstag. Turk and his Tiger II stay behind at Potsdamer Platz. During our ride towards the Reichstag, we are greeted by intense Russian radiotraffic, they have assuredly also heard our new orders. The Reichstag is completely bombed out, and there stands about 30 T-34s standing across the way in front of the Kroll Oper. After a quick instructions to the crew, we quickly round the corner and begin firing at this group of tanks, success is ours at this point.

May 1, 1945: We are instructed to stay around the Reichstag, Brandenburger Tor, and take control of all approaches from the Siegessäule and make an attack on the Russian forces dug in around the Kroll Oper, as there are still German wounded in the Opera house.

The Russians were able to make several successful recon sorties into the Reichstag, and have holed themselves up in the middle of the building, so that we are not able to dislodge them due to the bricked up windows and doors. We recieve orders to break out at 7p.m., we are able to reload and replenish our ammunition at the "Göring-Villa" in the Wilhelmstrasse (perhaps the Luftfahrtministerium??? sits on the corner of Wihelmstrasse and Leipzigerstrasse ).
I was then ordered to report to the Reichskanzlei, as i entered it, i had to run through many different hallways and other obstacles until entering an open area with a stairway leading down below the building. It is at this point that I saw several men throwing gasoline all over something, in an attempt to burn it, this resulted each time with a huge cloud of dirty and foul smelling smoke, and the Russians would immediately begin to shell the spot.

I then met Goebbels in the bunker, who instructed me that a break-out attempt would take place and that I should move towards Friedrichstrasse - Weidendammerbrücke and meet up with other forces who would also take part in the escape. There would be 3-5 other tanks taking part, and we should attempt to break out towards Oranienburg, link up with "Kampfgruppe" Steiner and we would then be sent to Schleswig-Holstein where we would wait for the inevitable link up with Allied forces coming from the west, who would then help us make a counter-attack to the east.

It was at this time that I learned that Adolf Hilter had married Eva Braun and then they had taken their own lives, and that it was more than likely the bodies which I had seen during my enterance.

We meet up at Friedrichstrasse S-Bahn Station, along with a large group of trucks and other vehicles as well as many troops who wished to take part in the break out. There was about 3-4 tanks, Sturmgeschütze, SPWs, and a large amount of LKWs (lorries). The Weidendammerbrücke, which lays before us, had been completely blocked off by tank traps during the initial defense preparement of Berlin. I entered the Station at Friedrichstrasse, where I was met by several other ranking SS- officials who told me that the commander of the tank regiment, Paul Kausch, was laying critically wounded in a nearby recon vehicle. As i returned to my vehicle, I was approached by many soldiers and others who asked if they could ride on our Tiger II during the break out attempt, we agreed and they eagerly climbed abroad the back deck of the tank.

During this another person came to us, someone of a higher rank - his rank wasnt known by us as he wore a long coat but was respected by the other troops around us - and asked if we would also take him, we agreed and he as well climbed onto the back deck of the tank. We were then forced to drive over the tank traps on the Bridge, as the area reserved for people to pass through was much too small for a Tiger II.

As we reached the first street - which i later found out to be Ziegelstrasse- we begin recieving murderous small arms fire from infantry and artillery. Everything and everyone on and around our tank was shot down, eviscerated or annihlated, even fixtures on the tank did not make it through the murderous barrage we encountered. The crew radio has failed again, the driver ignores this and keeps on driving as fast as possible, not seeing a large hole in the street. I was only able to communicate with the driver with help from the gunner, who told him to drive to the left onto the sidewalk around the hole. He did so, destroying many street lights and other fixtures, including the electric cables for the street tram. We keep on driving, eventually reaching another tank trap, at which we stop and suddenly a figure with a hat comes out of nowhere, much to my surprise. Not knowing who he is, I pull out my pistol and am ready to shoot him when I see the Totenkopf emblem and he informed me that he was a driver and an 2nd adjutant of Goebbels, who has something of an idea of Berlin and the streets.

>this interesting character, an Untersturmführer, had hopped onto the side skirts of the tank as it drove, and was then able to grab onto the turret, to which he held onto for dear life, as he was quite sure that the Ziegelstrasse would be heavily defended, thus saving his own life. We asked him where all the others who had been on our tank or had follwed us were, and he informed us that they all had been killed.<

We were then able to free ourselves from the Street Tram lines which we had been carrying with us, get around the tank trap and then carry on. Our new comerade was somewhat well informed and told us that the last man, who had recieved such quiet respect, was Martin Bormann and that no one, who was on our tank had made it through the murderous fire recieved from Ziegelstrasse. The Untersturmführer helped us navigate through the streets from Zuricherstrasse to Schönhauserallee, which were completely free of the Russians. We came upon a column of trucks, to whom we were not sure they belonged. We also saw several women washing themselves in a fire hydrant, and asked them to whom these trucks belonged, they told us that they were german, but this didnt interest us at all. We drive on towards the 2nd defense ring and the flak tower at Humbolthain, which was commanded by General Bärenfänger. General Bärenfänger instructs us to take position under the S-Bahnhof (the S-Bahn line in this area is actually above ground) but we ended up driving into a minefield. General Bärenfänger instructs us simply to put the tank out of action because the war was over and there was no more use for us to senslessly lose our lives and that we should make sure to get home safely.

AT this point we were confused and sad, as we had knocked out at least 39 enemy tanks with this Tiger II, and that was only the tanks which had caught fire, who knows whether it was more or not. With this last command, I (Diers) told the General about my orders from Goebbels, whereupon he informed me of that what General Krebs had arranged, and we were forced to destroy our beloved tank.

Crew Members of Diers tank #314; 3/schwere SS-Panzer Abteilung 503: Kommandant: Georg Diers, Richtschütze: Wolf-Dieter Kothe, Ladeschütze: Alex Sommer, Fahrer: Willi Kenkel, Funker: Bodo Hansen
jurgen
Lid

Bericht door jurgen »

Jurgen noemde een aantal van 1000 Franse SS'ers dit aantal klopt niet, het werkelijke aantal is 300 Franse SS'ers. Deze bewezen zich zelf met anti-tank gevechten. Met name SS pionieren van deze divisie.
Dit klopt inderdaad niet, ik was toen het boek van Anthony Beevor over Berlijn aan het lezen maar ik had hem nog niet uit en dus was die informatie fout.
één van die Franse SS'ers was trouwens één van de laatsten die een ritterkreuz overhandigd kreeg. Hij stierf nog wel later in de slag.
koos24
Lid

Bericht door koos24 »

... schreef:in mei 1945 waren er nog steeds troepen in het zuid-oosten van duitsland, noord-nederland, denenmarken, noorwegen en oostenrijk. waren dat veel troepen? en wat had er gebeurd als die massaal een grote tegenaanval uitvoerde?
wat is jullie mening?

Met al dat gekibbel over cijfers zie ik dat je vraag nog niet beantwoord is.
In Oostenrijk waren nog wat restanten Waffen SS maar dan ook echt restanten.
Voor de rest in Noorwegen, Denenmarken en Noord Nederland voornamelijk
vestingtroepen.
Oude mannen, ex gewonden, reservisten zonder fornt ervaring enz.
niet echt geschikt voor een grote aanval.

Ik kan het natuurlijk is hebben maar dan hoor ik het graag.
Voltaire: ik veracht u en uw mening, maar ik zal mijn leven geven om uw recht op die verachtelijke mening uit te mogen dragen.
kindzjal
Lid

Bericht door kindzjal »

Minder bekend is de deelname van zo'n 170.000 man sterke Poolse troepen aan de slag om Berlijn.

http://www.expolis.de/schlesien/texte/f ... R_TOR.html

Hierbij wat foto's van die soldaten in Berlijn:
Bijlagen
poln_Soldaten_in_Berlin.jpg
poln_Sold_Reichstag.jpg
010-Polacy_Berlin1.jpg
"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. "
- Martin Luther King Jr.
kindzjal
Lid

Bericht door kindzjal »

Nog een paar:
Bijlagen
20070219_200115Jozef_Pawlasty_1Dywizja_Kosciuszki_Berlin[1].jpg
lwp_berlin.jpg
Berlin_pl.jpg
"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. "
- Martin Luther King Jr.
michiel01
Lid

Bericht door michiel01 »

wat mij opvalt bij deze foto's is dat de Poolse soldaten de Vooroorlogse Poolse Tsjapka dragen. Was dit hun reguliere uitmonstering binnen het Sowjetleger?

Er wordt in het artikel ook gezegt dat ze meevochten met de Engelsen, dit is niet de 1e PPD geweest, welke eenheid was dit dan want dat vind ik niet terug.
kindzjal
Lid

Bericht door kindzjal »

michiel01 schreef:wat mij opvalt bij deze foto's is dat de Poolse soldaten de Vooroorlogse Poolse Tsjapka dragen. Was dit hun reguliere uitmonstering binnen het Sowjetleger?
Nee, ze dragen hier geen tsjapka (die werd vooral in de 19de eeuw gedragen):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czapka

Wat we hier zien is de rogatywka:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogatywka

Het was inderdaad hun reguliere kleding. Men heeft getracht om alles zoveel mogelijk te laten lijken op de kleding van voor 1939. Er was een uitzondering: de adelaar, die werd zonder kroon verwaardigd (de Poolse soldaten hadden hierover een aneqdote: "de Russen hebben de kroon gejat").
Voorbeelden onder bijgevoegd.
michiel01 schreef:Er wordt in het artikel ook gezegt dat ze meevochten met de Engelsen, dit is niet de 1e PPD geweest, welke eenheid was dit dan want dat vind ik niet terug.
Alles over de Poolse Strijdkrachten die meevochten aan de Engelse zijde vinden we hier:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Arm ... n_the_West
Bijlagen
255d235f751b30cfmed.jpg
3cd5888b9e628a64.jpg
cwsl.jpg
- Martin Luther King Jr.
michiel01
Lid

Bericht door michiel01 »

Thanks, info over het hoofddeksel is duidelijk, dat wist ik niet. Om even terug te komen op de Polen die met de britten meevochten in Berlijn. In de wiki link staat daar niets over. Ik weet redelijk veel van de Polen in West Europa (ik werk voor een Pools museum, zie de link in m'n onderschrift) maar over Polen die meevochten in Berlijn.... dat blijft nieuw en onduidelijk voor me. De heren van Gen Anders kwamen niet verder dan Italie en de 1e PPD niet verder dan Wilhelmshaven. Welke Polen vochten dan mee in Berlijn, die van Sosabowksi?
kindzjal
Lid

Bericht door kindzjal »

Ik denk dat je de Duitse tekst verkeerd hebt begrepen. Er hebben geen Engelsen en/of Polen van het PSZ meegevochten in Berlijn.
Er staat in het algemeen dat Polen aan alle fronten hebben gevochten zowel aan de Engelse zijde, als aan de kant van de Soviets.

Ik zag die link al staan en moet zeggen dat ik ook nog eens moet komen kijken in Breda.
Schandalig eigenlijk dat ik er nog niet ben geweest, terwijl ik vaak op de herdenkingen in Breda ben...

Hieronder nog een tweetal foto's (uit mijn collectie) van de onderscheiding die Poolse soldaten kregen die deelnamen aan de inname van Berlijn.

Het Grunwald/Berlin Schild:

Bijlagen
m_za berlin.jpg
m_kopia star 130.jpg
- Martin Luther King Jr.
Dreesen
Lid

Bericht door Dreesen »

Heeft iemand soms wat foto's van overblijfselen van de slag om Berlijn de dag van vandaag. Of een website met overblijfselen in Berlijn of in de buurt?
'Berlijn is een historisch mijnenveld'
kindzjal
Lid

Bericht door kindzjal »

Nog een tweetal Russische schilderijen die aan de inname van Berlijn zijn gewijd:
Bijlagen
160krivonogovpobeda.jpg
aefc14c0137b.jpg
- Martin Luther King Jr.
Gertos45
Lid

Bericht door Gertos45 »

Inderdaad. Wat een mooie foto s. Ik lees momenteel: Endspiel. Een boek over de laatste dagen van het derde rijk. Zeer hevig hoor.

De verbeten tegenstand van de Duitse troepen is heden onvoorstelbaar. Zo volharden in de boosheid.
asjemenou
Moderator & Beste Avatar 2009
Moderator & Beste Avatar 2009
Gegeven: 55 keer
Ontvangen: 99 keer

Bericht door asjemenou »

michiel01 schreef:Thanks, info over het hoofddeksel is duidelijk, dat wist ik niet. Om even terug te komen op de Polen die met de britten meevochten in Berlijn. In de wiki link staat daar niets over. Ik weet redelijk veel van de Polen in West Europa (ik werk voor een Pools museum, zie de link in m'n onderschrift) maar over Polen die meevochten in Berlijn.... dat blijft nieuw en onduidelijk voor me. De heren van Gen Anders kwamen niet verder dan Italie en de 1e PPD niet verder dan Wilhelmshaven. Welke Polen vochten dan mee in Berlijn, die van Sosabowksi?
Een wat late reactie van mij op dit topic maar ik lees dat er nogal wat onduidelijkheid bestaat over de Poolse strijdkrachten die deelnamen aan de slag om Berlijn in 1945.
Deze Poolse soldaten behoorden tot het door de Sovjets geformeerde 1e en 2e Poolse Volksleger (Ludowe Wojsko Polskie).
Zie; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People's_Army_of_Poland . Deze beide Poolse Volkslegers vielen dus niet onder het commando van de Poolse strijdkrachten in het westen. De Poolse strijdkrachten in westen (Anders, Maczek en Sosabowski) hebben op hun beurt niet deel genomen aan de strijd in het oosten en dus ook niet aan de bevrijding van Polen. Dit is iets wat zij uiteraard wel wilden maar daarvoor geen toestemming kregen. Politiek gezien lag dit te gevoelig. Stalin duldde nu eenmaal geen "westers georiënteerd" geallieerd leger op zijn strijdtoneel.
De Poolse soldaten behorende tot het 1e en 2e Poolse Volksleger waren uitgerust met Sovjet wapens. Hun uniformen kwamen gedeeltelijk uit vooroorlogse Poolse voorraden maar werden net als de Rogatywka ook voor hen in de Sovjet-Unie gemaakt. De adelaar op deze Sovjet gemaakte Rogatywka was niet voorzien van een kroon. Een kroon was voor de Sovjets tenslotte een symbool van aristocratie. Pas na de val van het communisme in Polen kreeg de Poolse nationale adelaar zijn kroon weer terug.
Stalin stond wel toe dat de Polen aan Sovjet zijde tegen de Duitsers meevochten maar liet de Polen niet als zelfstandige legers opereren.
Stalin wantrouwde en vreesde de Polen daarvoor te veel. Zo werd het 1e Poolse leger aan het 1e Witrussische Front van Zjoekov toegevoegd en het 2e Poolse leger aan het 1e Oekraïense Front van Konjev. Doordat de beide Poolse volkslegers aan deze beide Sovjet Fronten waren toegevoegd gebeurde het dat zij ook deelnamen aan de slag om Berlijn in 1945.
Ga serieus om met het WOII forum. Dan houden we het forum voor alle leden interessant!
kindzjal
Lid

Bericht door kindzjal »

Jouw verhaal klopt grotendeels. Behalve de benaming natuurlijk.
De naam "Poolse Volksleger" is veel later bedacht door communistische propaganda.
De officiele benaming was:
Armia Polska w ZSRR (Poolse Leger in USSR), later Wojsko Polskie (Poolse Leger).

Heel luguber is het verhaal over de Poolse soldaten die eerder op de Reichstag waren en daar de Poolse vlag ophingen... ze werden door de soviet "kameraden" geexecuteerd, omdat er alleen de rode vlag mocht hangen.

In tegenstelling tot hetgeen wat op de Reichstag gebeurde werden op de Siegessäule gewoon twee vlaggen gehesen: de rode Sovietvlag en de wit-rode Poolse. De Poolse soldaat die dat deed was Ludwik Skokun.
Hij droeg altijd een adelaar met een kroon (waarvoor hij op een gegeven moment zelfs in een strafbataillon belandde).
Bijlagen
Skokun
Skokun
- Martin Luther King Jr.
Plaats reactie